I am SO excited to be sharing this recipe with you today. Baked for a family Sunday lunch the other week, I am already looking forward to the next time I can bake this delicious tart! I LOVE the flavours, the texture and the overall look of the tart and for me at least, the cranberry paired with the almond flavour couldn't be a better combination!
For me, cranberries are the perfect Summer into Autumn fruit, and they're only just making their way onto the shelves freshly picked. Sadly the weekend I baked this they weren't ready yet and fresh cranberries weren't anywhere to be found, but frozen ones did the job, and next time I'll definitely try fresh ones just to compare!
I used an Anna Olson recipe for this tart, but adapted the recipe a little as I went, as well as making a bigger tart than she did - which meant some maths to figure out ingredients and how much of everything I would need for the tart pan size I had but everything worked out so I guess my calculations were correct! I used her Cranberry Frangipane Tart recipe along with her Nut-Crust Tart Shell which was delicious, from her 'Back to Baking' book that I love, but I'll share the recipe how I prepared it :-)
For the Nut-Crust Tart Shell (to fit an 11-inch tart pan) -
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
3/8 tsp salt
9 tbsp cold and cubed unsalted butter (1/2 cup + 2 tsp)
2.5 tbsp cold water
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together the ground almonds, flour, sugar and salt until combined.
4. Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap (cling-film) and chill the dough until it is firm, at least an hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
6. On a lightly floured surface, break the chilled dough into 4 pieces and then push them together, kneading them to soften them slightly (Anna tells me; this will make it easier to roll the dough without cracking it).
9. Let the tart shell cool and fill it soon after.
And now, the cranberry frangipane filling!
1 cup ground almonds
1 cup sugar
1 1/8 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 eggs
1 1/2 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/8 tsp almond extract
1/8 ground cinnamon
2 1/4 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen - thawed)
1 1/2 tbsp flour (if using frozen)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the pan containing the crust onto a baking tray.
2. Mix together the ground almonds and sugar, and add the butter, egg, egg yolk, extracts and cinnamon and mix until evenly blended.
5. Bake on the tray for 50 - 60 minutes, until the filling is set and evenly browned. Cool to room temperature in the pan before removing the outer ring of the pan.