Monday 12 May 2014

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Mmm I'm excited to be blogging about these cookies today.  I had forgotten how much I loved them, until I re-baked them last weekend and ate a few of them along the way! 
 
 
Do you remember last year, when our church youth group ran the first Fun(d) Fair in order to raise FUNDS while having FUN for World Vision!?  Check out all the games and exciting things we did, and what I baked for the bake sale in 2013 here.
 
This year, we wanted even more baked goods to sell, as they were a big hit last year and we ran out before the event was over.  So, with everyone baking the Friday before the event, I had to get my thinking cap on as well.  I wanted something small, and easy to buy one or two of, but also needing a recipe that made a LOT of whatever the bake was.
 
I couldn't think for a while what to make... I considered a rectangular cake cut into small squares, but I didn't want it to dry out.  I didn't have time to make all the components of the Cherry Bakewell traybake that I also love so much.  And I've made SO many cupcakes recently I didn't want to go down that path either.
 
Then I remembered these cookies I made from the Taste of Home 'Best Loved Cookies and Candy' 2010 magazine!  I made them for my piano students in 2010, in a Christmas treat bag full of various cookies and candy, and they were definitely my favourite out of the lot.
 


 
A deliciously soft and chewy inside, with a crinkle top, slightly crusty outside layer with a full on chocolate flavour.  Perfect with a glass of cold milk!
 
 
Ingredients (to make 3 1/2 dozen cookies):
 
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup icing sugar
 
Method:
 
1.  In a microwave, melt 1 cup cholate chips.  Stir until smooth, and set aside.
 
2.  In a small bowl, beat the butter and sugar until crumble - about 2 minutes.
 
3.  Add the egg whites and vanilla, and beat well.
 
4.  Stir in the melted chocolate.
 
5.  Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, and gradually add to the butter mixture, alternately with water.
 
6.  Stir in the remaining chocolate chips. 
 
7.  Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until easy to handle.
 
8.  Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
 
9.  Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in icing sugar.
 
10.  Place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray
 
11.  Bake for 10-12 minutes in pre-heated oven.
 
12.  Leave to cool on the tray for 5 minutes, and then move to the cooling rack to cool completely. 

 
And then, all that is left to do is enjoy these delicious cookies!... And if, like me, you're donating them to a good cause - try not to eat too many of them first!!
 
 
And in good news, despite the weather (the afternoon of the Fun(d) Fair was miserable and wet!) we still managed to raise $898, and then, along with some generous donations the next morning we actually BEAT our 2013 amount, raising over $1200 for World Vision :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!! Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you :-)