Sunday 12 January 2014

Snow + Ice = Cookies?!

 
If only all this snow and ice actually was only pretty and not cold or dangerous!  I can't really complain however... This is perhaps the first truly Canadian winter I have ever experienced.  It certainly will be the longest winter if it continues with these cold temperatures right through to March based on how early it started!  And so far I think it is the most snow, and most definitely the most ice I have seen in the 4 1/2 years I have lived here now!
 
The thing is, I love the winter... I love the snow and actually when the ice storm hit - we got some of the best icy/winter weather photos of all!  So apart from the big bruise I'm sporting on my knee from not one but two slips in the same spot of ice this morning I am enjoying the weather, no matter how cold!
 
So a few weeks ago, after creating the Cookie Wreaths for Rethink Breast Cancer I made these church shaped cookies, originally planned to have at our church Christmas concert.  I used the same sugar cookie recipe... because really, what was 36 more cookies when I had already made 145!!!!
 
 
I bought this church cookie cutter in the summer from Degrees, one of my favourite shops to go in Toronto - especially for their cookie cutter selection that changes with the season :)  I had never had the chance to use it, but wanting to take these treats to our concert at church before the holidays I thought it was the perfect opportunity!
 
I used my go-to sugar cookie recipe - click here to see it used in the wreath and to find all the details!

 
With the weather already turned into a full blown winter before we even saw the Christmas holidays I was inspired by snow and ice to decorate these cookies.
 
 
Using royal icing (recipe also here) I simply piped the top part of the church roof with 'snow'...or actually with the pure white royal icing!  I piped at random the 'icicles' without really worrying too much about how long or short they were hanging!
 

 

Then, using the coarse sugar I have been LOVING this winter season I sprinkled it across the top edge, and filling in the church spire for some bonus sparkle and frosted icy look!

 

I really liked how simple the cookies looked, the contrast of the white against just the plain colour of the cookie - it not only meant for not a huge decorating task but also a simple design giving the snowy icing the full glory on the slightly 'different' cookie in the shape of a church.


 

Originally these were going to be church concert cookies, but with the power outage meaning we had to wait until Christmas Eve to sing and play these cookies ended up being 'Church at Christmas' cookies instead, taking them along to eat for our 2nd dessert on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as well as a sneaky few shared a little earlier in the week!



It was definitely the most cookie crazy pre-Christmas I've ever had... But I love it!  There were many many stacks of cookies like this all around our condo - either waiting to cool, to be iced, waiting to dry or just ready to eat for a good couple of weeks!


 
But it's back to normal now, and it's been a little crazy getting back to school/work and also getting ready for my new job that starts on Monday!  I've been doing a LOT of prep for it so I haven't had much time for crafting/baking but don't worry - I'll be back on it soon enough - there are exciting birthdays and Valentine's Day coming up so no excuse not to be creative!



 
Happy Sunday everybody! 
Whether or not you were at a church that looked like this today, I hope you're enjoying the winter season and it's not TOO cold for you where you are!!

8 comments:

  1. Awww. So sweet! Thank you for linking up at the Duck 'n a Row Blog Hop! Can't wait to see what you bring next week. Have a terrific weekend!
    Cathy
    APeekIntoMyParadise

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look yummy
    and almost to pretty to eat

    would love for you to share
    at Fridays Unfolded this week!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies are adorable! Thank you for bringing them to Family Fun Friday! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies turned out beautiful! I love the simplicity of the white icing and sugar crystals. Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! Thanks for sharing via Family Fun Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! These cookies look amazing! I have never worked with royal icing before but it is on my to do list! Fabulous darlin' :) You will be a Fabulous Feature!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum!
    Thanks for sharing your tutorial on Tutorial Thursdays Linky Party :)
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft

    ReplyDelete
  8. The frosted church cookies are just beautiful. I'd love to make them for church also--womens missionary meeting. Who would have thought a church cookie could be so wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!! Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you :-)