Monday 30 September 2013

Creating and Cake-ing for Choir ♫

Firstly, here's a big oops for only just writing this blog post!  It is Monday afternoon, which means this post definitely didn't go live on either Saturday or Sunday this weekend.  My bad!  Everything went a little crazy and busy and I'm finally getting a chance to write it before I dash out to teach this afternoon.

Today I'm going to tell you about a couple of musical things I have put together recently for my choir.  I'm a piano and music teacher primarily, but I sing with a really great chamber choir - the Cantabile Chamber Singers here in Toronto and we started back at rehearsals a few weeks ago.


I did a quick bake on a Tuesday morning so that we would have some sweet snacks for our first rehearsal break.  Why?... Because chats and catch ups are better over cake of course!  Anddd, well, with the morning off work I could think of nothing more fun than doing a spot of baking :)


I made some mini cupcakes and decorated them with some leftover cola buttercream from the Back to School cupcakes I made earlier in September - click here to see them and to find the recipe!  I used the same amounts as I did for the 12 regular sized cupcakes, and then following the same recipe it also made the 24 mini cupcakes.

To decorate I used this amazing design of rice paper cupcake toppers my little sister bought for me last year for my birthday!  I'm a weirdo and hate using up things, so I save them and save them until I can bear to be apart from them once they're all used up!  Funny story.. I only used 1 package of these, using a second pack of small blue ♫s for the rest (with a little water icing once the buttercream had run out!)... so GOOD NEWS I still have one pack left!

Thanks Livi and Simply Topps for these.  They were the perfect size for these mini cupcakes sat on a buttercream swirl (Wilton piping tip #12).  And the designs were fabulous, especially for this musical occasion.  Check out their website, they have some great cupcake toppers that make those quick baking projects nice and easy :)



Batter made and prepped, scooped out and ready to go in the oven!...



Slightly less time than in this recipe as they're smaller, 10 - 12 minutes will probably do it but do keep an eye on them.



I chose these black and white polka dots to go along with the colour scheme of the music notes toppers.  And here they are, piped and decorated, ready to be eaten at rehearsal :-)




And the second part of this post starts now!  Just a little crafty make I put together this weekend for our annual choir meeting which this year involved the usual business meeting and pot luck but also some super fun lawn bowling, and board games evening!  A lot of fun, and great to spend time with the choir away from rehearsal.

I made a bundt cake for the occasion, but well you'll have to wait another week or so for that post!  But you do get a little sneak preview of what it looks like when I show you the music cake bunting I made for it!  It was a kind of party and get-together after all so why not celebrate :-)



To make this cute little music bunting you need some really basic supplies you might even already have at home!  

Sadly I was on a time crunch and didn't get a chance to take photos as I created this bunting, but here's a run down of the steps and hopefully you can picture it!

To create the pennants I used black cardstock and a sheet of music scrapbook paper (thank you Michaels of course!)... They were 3cm across the top and 4 cm long.  I find it nice and easy to cut these out by marking the 3cm marks along the card, and then the 1.5cm points alternately which means using a paper cutter (or scissors) you can just angle the cutter from a 3cm mark to the opposite 1.5cm mark and then back creating the triangles as you cut!

As I had made a bundt cake I wanted the poles holding up the bunting to stand up quite a bit from the cake.  I used white lollipop sticks I already had from this project for my piano students!

But how to connect the flags to the poles!?  I was thinking about baker's twine, but the colours I had weren't matching enough for me... and then I had some music tape to fold over and attach that way, but I didn't like that either.
So, needle and thread to the rescue I used some black and white embroidery thread and threaded both pieces through a wide needle.  I tied one end to one stick and then threaded through each of the two top corners of the pennants, choosing to thread from the back and across the front so you could see the two-coloured thread against the card flags.  Finishing the 7 flags I tied it off at the other end, loose enough to have a little dip but not so much so it would drag on the cake!  


It really added just a little something to the cake, and everybody knew what contribution to the potluck mine was.  After all, I'm the strange one wanting to add decorations to a bundt cake just because! Hehe ♫

This little bunting was easy to put together, and you can chang up the flag designs SO easily with different patterns of scrapbook paper - and there are endless possibilities.  And, so long as the cake wasn't too messy or sticky inside these are reusable too!  Added bonus :)

I'll for sure be making many more of these now I have tried it so watch this space!  Have a great week everyone!

20 comments:

  1. Glad to see the stand-mixer being put to use! =)
    -Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable..both cupcakes and bunting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is absolutely great! I love it! Thank you for sharing.

    Maria @
    www.musicteachingandparenting.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these cute cupcakes on Tasty Tuesday~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're so welcome, thanks for hosting and for coming by to look at them :)

      Delete
  5. These are so cute, Hannah! Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie!! Great to have you here reading about them!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE the music on the cupcakes. That is such a fun idea. I am a huge music lover and I want to make these just to make them because, they are THAT cute! Also, I love the black and white banner with the music notes on it. You did a great job. Thanks so much for sharing how you made it.

    I’d love it if you linked this up over at Living Well Spending Less for Thrifty Thursday this week! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey! Thanks so much Ruth, happy you like them :)

      Delete
  7. How adorable! Love the bunting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie!! It was my favourite bit as well I think :) Glad you liked it too. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. These cupcakes are so cute. Visiting from Let's Pour Tea Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debbie :) Great to have you here!

      Delete
  9. Cute Cupcakes :)
    Thanks for sharing on Tutorial Thursdays Linky Party.
    Your tutorial will be featured during this week.
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft
    P.S. Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you SO much Natalie for all of the features this week! Been amazing to see them, and can't wait for next week's party and to see the feature!

      Delete

Thanks for reading!! Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you :-)