Saturday 6 July 2013

Bow ties are cool... Baby bow ties are cooler...

... and cuter too!

Nearly 8 weeks ago I blogged about the new baby boy elephant cupcakes and custom baby boy onesies I made for the arrival of a sweet baby boy - a very cute and squishy addition to our friends' family.  Wow 8 weeks!?  Seems like a long time already for this little baby, which means I think it is definitely time I blogged more about the custom onesies I made, just as I promised.

When I first blogged about the onesies I was so thrilled with everybody's kind words and compliments, and especially excited to see, that just like me - everyone's favourite seemed to be the bow tie onesie!  Yey!  I'm still so happy with how it turned out, and I love that everyone else did too - thank you for your comments and repins :-)


So today I bring you the tutorial for the bow tie onesies.  I'll share what I did and also what I plan on differently next time - I'm wondering if these might make it onto my Etsy shop.  Right now you'll just see my moustache hair clips/men's bow ties/lapel pins so it's pretty lonely on the Sew Lah Tea Dough Etsy shop so maybe these will get there soon.  What do you think?  Would these be something that catch your eye while browsing Etsy?

Firstly I purchased a white onesie (this one was a size 6-12months, thinking he could grow into his 'smart suit' in a few months time!).  I chose white to act like a smart white dress shirt :-)

I knew that I wanted to create 2 bow ties so that the colours/patterns could be interchangeable... and then to find a way to attach the bow ties, meaning that I could make future bow ties with the same fixings on for endless possibilities.  That means everything you'll see will be twice over as I made 2 bow ties but the measurements I give will be for 1.

So here goes.  I chose some really cute and soft flannel fabric I got in JoAnn's on my most recent US trip.  I knew a baby was coming so this definitely inspired the purchase, and it worked perfectly for the bow ties - I love the fabric design and thought it was so appropriate for a baby boy.  Thank you JoAnn's!

1.  Start with 1 rectangle of fabric cut to 9" x 4" and 1 smaller piece cut to 2.5" x 1.5".

2.  Fold right sides in lengthwise and pin.  These are the top edges you are going to sew shut.


3.  Machine sew in a similar colour thread (I used white) along the pinned top edges.  (As these aren't huge projects they are probably something that could be hand sewn as well if you don't have access to a machine)


5.  Turn the fabric inside out so that the right side is now showing and admire your pretty baby fabric you chose :-)


You will then have tubes of fabric, one big long rectangle that will be the main part of the bow tie, and the smaller one that will be the wrap around middle part.

6.  Turn the seam so that it sits in the middle of the back and iron flat.


7.  Working first with the large rectangle, fold the 2 ends towards the middle.  I actually overlapped one side more so than the other - I figured if it was going to be on show then having only 1 edge visible would be better than 2!  And also once I wrapped around the smaller rectangle this would then go around both edges potentially making it more secure.


8.  Tack down this middle overlap just to attach them together which will make it easier to work with when you add the small middle band.

9.  Squeeze together the middle of the bow tie and aim for nice symmetrical pleats for the bow tie effect!  I was really happy with how one came out, and the other didn't do as nice of a pleat but that's okay!  


10.  Oopsie that may have been my last photo.  Luckily it's almost the final step, and finally time to use that small rectangle that was oh so fiddly to turn right side out!   Take this rectangle tube and fold around the middle of the bow tie.  Hand sew together at the back.  I sewed through the 2 edges, but also made sure that some stitches went through the actual bow tie so that it would move side-to-side.

Time to attach the velcro or whatever you want to use to get this bow tie to stay on your little one's outfit!

11.  I had chosen to use velcro squares - with two attached to the onesie just underneath the collar spaced apart based on your bow tie - just double check and make a mark where you want them to be sewn on!  This meant I needed the opposite sides of velcro squares to attach to the back of the bow ties.  I'm afraid I don't have a photo of the back (and right now I'm saying to myself "why was I so silly not to take one of the back side?!")... but I attached a square to the under side of the bow tie - one on each side of the bow.  Hand sewing the velcro was tough!  I really appreciate usually being able to use a machine for this! 


I am sure there would be a way of figuring out which part would eventually be this velcro section and attach it first, but I haven't got there yet.

All done!  2 cute and soft bow ties ready for the outfit and the new baby (who, at the time of finishing the gift was still warm and cosy and not born yet!)


My other idea which I think I would use as another option if I made these more often, for more flexibility would be to attach small bar pins either by sewing them on, or hot glueing them down so that the bow tie could be attached to any outfit.  

But for this time I wanted the two interchangeable bow ties for 2 outfits in one, so went with velcro not only for easy attaching, but also meaning the bow tie could be removed so the outfit could still be washed... Very necessary I think :-)

I also should mention, that I chose to make the onesie even smarter with some pale blue buttons sewn down the centre of the onesie.  That's totally optional - but I definitely think it adds a nice contrast in colour to the white fabric as well as being nice and fancy to make your little one look so grown up!




I love these bow ties!  And have lots of material left, and can't wait for a chance to make some more.  Looking forward to when the new little one is big enough to fit into the outfit and we can see him looking super dapper ♥



This final photo is just as I was packing everything up.  Don't you love the 'Stitched with ♥' ribbon!?  It was a super exciting little gift from my Mum sent from England.  Just had to use a little of it for this present :-)  Thanks Mum!

I'm so glad I've finally posted this tutorial - I hope you have a chance to create a cute little bow tie for your little man.  I loved coming up with this onesie - accessories for baby boys are definitely not as easy to come up with as little girls' but I did really enjoy this project :-)  

Definitely going to make some more, and I'd love to hear what you think - do you reckon they'd make for a good Etsy sell!?  And do send me your pics if you make some of your own!

Have a great week everyone!

39 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yey thanks so much Mel! So glad you like it, and you stopped by to check it out :-)

      Delete
  2. So adorable! Thanks for sharing this lovely idea!
    Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana for coming by again, happy you like the bow tie :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elise! Glad you could come by and check it out :-)

      Delete
  4. My daughter was just asking me to make a bowtie for a onesie. Thank you for showing us how to do this cute idea for a little guy............Andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yey, I'm glad that was good timing then :-) Have fun making yours! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This is just darling, and such a great gift idea! I am pinning it! Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woop thanks Deborah! I love to see my posts on Pinterest - it is the stem of so many ideas and inspiration! So glad you could come by :-)

      Delete
  6. i love it
    visiting from Tutorial Thursdays Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute, I've already pinned for later! Thanks for linking up to our Crafty Thursday Obsessions party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Michelle, for stopping by and for pinning it! So great to see it on Pinterest :-D

      Delete
  8. This is adorable! I am sewing challenged, so I just passed this link onto my sister to ask her to make 1 or 2 for me for a friend who is having a boy in November. Thank you so much for sharing at Marvelous Mondays this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, that is a GREAT idea! Thanks so much for forwarding the link on, I love having new visitors to my site! I hope she can make you some for your gift! I'd love to see them when they're done :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. This is so cute!!! We would love for you to share at our fun Super Summer Saturday link up here: http://www.thechirpingmoms.com/2013/07/super-summer-saturday_13.html

    Thanks!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! I am co-hosting this week on the My Favorite Posts Showoff Weekend Blog Party. Thanks for connecting up!

    I host a (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop and a TGIF Link Party over at my place -- A Peek Into My Paradise... http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/ I would love for you to link up and follow (if you don't already) if you like what you see. =) I follow back - I love making new friends!

    Have a terrific week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just so adorable!
    Thank you so much for sharing this on Tutorial Thursdays. Please do come by and place your vote on your favourite link from last week, it may be featured if it wins the voting! I look forward to seeing what you share with us this week :)

    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely need to try this for Look LIke your teacher day :) Thanks for sharing!
    -Reshama
    www.stackingbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh that is a fantastic idea!! Love it :) Any little boys or girls could totally pull this look off! Thanks for sharing that idea and for stopping by to have a look :)

      Delete
  13. this is so cute! I just pinned it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEY thank you Jamie!! I really appreciate that, and also love that you liked them so much :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Just stopping by to let you know that I featured you today on my blog! Thanks so much for linking up to {wow me} wednesday.

    Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH Ginger! I realise this was a while ago now, but I loved that feature post you put together for babies! There were some amazing projects on there, so I am honoured to have been chosen too - thank you!!

      Delete
  15. The bow ties are looking very preety.Good work keep it up.I want to buy these types of bow ties online India.Please suggest me anybody .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Please check my Etsy shop in a few weeks time to see - maybe I will add these :)

      Delete
  16. This is such a cute creation! I have to show this to the ladies tonight at our weekly craft session. Last week we learned how to make our own custom pins, which was a huge success! They will absolutely adore this diy project! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Delores thank you so much! I am flattered you wanted to show your friends my bow ties, that's amazing! I hope they all liked it :) I am thinking of starting to sell them on my small Etsy store in the near future - would love any feedback they had!

      Delete
  17. Hi Cathy, thank you SO much for coming by and reading this, and for inviting me to your link party! I've added it to my list and I'm looking forward to linking up each week :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quick question. How did you tack down the folded part? I'm not so knowledgeable about sewing but I know a little. Did you sew it a little? Use something sticky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for reading! Yes the folded part I tacked by sewing together just a little. I didn't use the machine but just hand sewed this a bit so it wouldn't come apart, and would be easier to work with once attached.

      I did think about using a hot glue, or some fabric glue or other adhesive but went with sewing, so if you have something good you usually use for fabrics I am sure that would work as well - these don't get too much handling so should last :)

      Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions!

      Hannah ♫

      Delete
  19. thanx for share this.....bow ties so cool..i love bow ties for men

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute bow ties of babies. In past their is only bow ties for men but know their is bow ties of babies also.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is great for fast presents. I made a few for my sister's son and she loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE it! Made my first one tonight and think I might have to add this to my list of things I make and sell for fun! Thanks for the GREAT tutorial, couldn’t have been more clear and easy to understand!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!! Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you :-)